How to Remove a Carpet Stain with an Iron
Christmas is just 13 days away! If any last minute disasters happen and you need to remove a carpet stain fast before your guests arrive, continue reading!
First, vacuum the stained area to remove any loose dirt before applying the solution.
Method 1 of 2: White Vinegar and Water Solution
- Plug your iron in next to the stained area and place it on it’s highest steam setting. (Be careful not to burn your carpet with the iron, place on a heat proof mat if you have one as a safety precaution.)
- Fill an empty spray bottle with 60ml (1/4 of a cup) of white vinegar and 180ml of water (3/4 of a cup). You can increase or decrease the amount of vinegar and water used to make the cleaning solution depending on the size of your stain. The ratio should always be 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water.
- Get a cloth or towel that is big enough to cover the stain, immerse in warm water and wring it out so that it’s damp.
- Spray the vinegar solution over the entire carpet stain.
- Place the damp towel over the stain.
- Iron lightly over the damp towel until the stain has been completely removed from the carpet.
Method 2 of 2: Iron with a Dishwashing Liquid and Water Solution
- Plug your iron in next to the stained area and place it on it’s lowest steam setting. (Be careful not to burn your carpet with the iron, place on a heat proof mat if you have one as a safety precaution.)
- Add 5 drops of concentrated washing up liquid and 500ml (2 cups) of warm water to a large bowl. (we recommend using a washing up bowl.)
- Soak a cloth or towel in the soap and water solution and wring it out so that it’s damp.
- Place the towel over the stain and place the iron on top of the towel.
- Let the iron sit on the town at the lowest steam setting until you see the stain soak into the towel or for 10-15 minutes. (Depending on the size of your stain, the iron may need moving to another part of the stain, repeating the steaming process until it has been removed entirely.)
If these methods aren’t successful for you, get in touch with SJS, Leicestershire’s professional carpet cleaners on 01162 987 082
Content source and picture credit: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Carpet-Stain-With-an-Iron